Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day


On June 15, 2008, an annual event will occur that has happened for many Years. Some accounts record this historical event differently. One lays claim to it being the 100th Anniversary. Others profess another view as provided at the Father’s Day link.

Often, during this day fathers everywhere are flooded with gifts, special dinners or perhaps just a relaxing afternoon to do with as they see fit. As many in this nation know the well-known journalist, Tim Russert passed away on Friday. For his only son and Tim’s dad I imagine it will be especially difficult knowing they will never again be able to share a laugh, a hug, or a simple conversation. I am saddened for them and hope they find comfort in knowing they were able to be a part of his life.

My own dad passed away over seven years ago. Sometimes I wish that I could just talk to him about anything or just nothing. I wish I were able to tell him a silly joke and hear him laugh. He was a good man, a hard worker and made incredible sacrifices most of his life for his family. If he ever complained about doing so, I never heard it. He wasn’t a highly educated man but he understood the importance of responsibility and took it seriously.

I’ve been a father now for over 15 years and hope that I shoulder the responsibility as well as he did. I try every day to remind my daughter that I love her. Sometimes the relationship becomes strained and that makes it difficult. I only want the best for her and hope that one day she realizes that if I have been tough it is because it is a rough world in which we all live.

Being a father is never easy but I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

0 comments: