Sunday, April 19, 2009

Wisdom of Our Fathers

It is an awesome thing to be a father and something I don’t take for granted. My daughter turns 16 tomorrow and I find myself wondering where the years have gone. I can still remember as if it was yesterday, that sweet little baby that I held in my arms for the first time. I can’t even put into words the joy I felt the first time I she called me Dad. Looking into her perfect blue eyes that morning I knew that life would never be the same. I had witnessed a miracle from God.

Whether admitting it or not I understood that a part of her would always count on me. It has been frustrating at times for both of us there is a connection and bond known as father and daughter. The various adolescent and normal teenage attitudes of the female gender have been tough for this dear ole Dad. But, I enjoy knowing that the link and union is sealed and built upon a deep and abiding love. More than anything, I have always wanted her to know that she is loved. I learned a long time ago that love is not just something you say but also something you do. Maybe that’s how a parent endures the tough times. Though all too often it can go unsaid when it really is so easy to express.

I grew up without ever hearing that from my father. I was determined that my daughter wasn’t going to wonder. My dad passed away several years ago never uttered those words. It has only been in my later years that I realized he loved me. He just didn’t come from a generation that voiced those types of words, though I wished he had.

Apparently, he was not alone in that type of behavior though. I recently listen on CD to Tim Russert’s book Wisdom of our Fathers. Listening to things on mp3 or CD is one of the ways I occupy my time on my long commutes to and from work. But, anyway, I found that in Tim’s book many fathers expressed their love in different ways. Often times it was until later in life or after their father’s death did the children realize how much their dads cared. The book or CD is interesting reading and material that presents multiple viewpoints about the relationships, love and wisdom shared between children and their fathers. I recommend this book to everyone and especially fathers who are continually wondering if their children will ever appreciate the sacrifices that they have made and continue to make.

0 comments: